Saturday, May 15, 2010

Just another day.

Ouch. Sunburn. I always use sunscreen, but I do like to brown a little. Um, I browned a little too much today. A day at the pool was nice though, and it was long overdue. This was the first morning in over a month that I was able to sleep late and not have to rush somewhere. Wow, that's crazy. It's almost Summer though, but I hope my time at the pool will go better than this day did.

I almost drowned today. In front of my kids, I almost drowned. I eased over to the ladder of the pool and decided to take a dip to cool off from sunbathing. It was pretty chilly, but I decided to take the plunge at the urging of my children. I jumped. It was cold. I inhaled. I thought I was dying. I went a little deeper than I expected too, so when I came up I made the most awful sound. I truly didn't think I was going to be able to catch my breath. The kids were laughing at me because I don't think they realized I couldn't breathe. I just hope my lungs aren't so full of pool water that I end up with pneumonia. (My chest sure feels tight.)

As I mentioned in the beginning, I also ended up sunburned. It will be okay though. Dang sunscreen didn't work so well this time.

Way back in the late 1970s, my family went to Disney World. Mom, Dad, my brother Jason, myself, my cousin David who is only one year older than I am, and my Grandmother Birdie. I remember only a few things about the trip, but a few of the things have to do with David. One of the most memorable is when he jumped into the hotel pool and nearly drowned before Daddy saved him. David thought it would be a great story to send back home to his Mom and Dad. He wrote a few things on the postcard, and the last sentence said something about him drowning in the pool that day. He had to "be continued" on the next postcard. My aunt and uncle got the first postcard one day and the second postcard a day later, so they didn't get the part about the rescue. Good thing it was David writing the notes.

So, as I head into Summer, I pray that all will be safe. Don't drown, use sunscreen, and be aware of your surroundings at all times. Summer brings out snakes, craziness on the lake, snakes, more drunk drivers, snakes, and irresponsible teenagers with way too much time on their hands. Life should certainly be enjoyed, but we should take care of ourselves so that we can look forward to many more Summers to come.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry about your sunburn. Oh they are so painful! I will definitely be using my SPF this summer!

    ReplyDelete