Sunday, November 7, 2010

A new day is dawning...

It won't be long now until I take the plunge of working 3rd shift. I talked to one of my fellow co-workers this week and told him I am excited about going to 3rd. He said, "Oh, so you've worked nights before?" I told him no but that I thought it would be great! He laughed at me, as everyone else keeps doing, and I'm beginning to worry that they know something I don't!

My logical idea is that I will work three nights a week as scheduled, 7 p.m. until 7 a.m. If, for some reason, one of the girls has to be home from school, I'm here for her. Even if I have to sleep, at least I'm here.

The day nurses say that you get paid more at night but that the day shift works harder. I'm anxious to see what the night shift says about the day people. I bet they will have their opinions too. I've enjoyed working days and like the people there now. I've gotten used to everyone, and I've adjusted to the extreme craziness that goes along with it. I have seen days with the birth of 17 babies. Holy cow, did you ever guess there could be that many born in one day at one hospital?

Nights will be calmer I'm sure. Nights will be long I bet. Sure, I will be tired at first. Hopefully I will adjust though, and for sure I will remind myself that I am making good money for just three nights a week, and my family now has health insurance. It's funny that the only thing I'm nervous about is getting used to an entirely different group of people. Different nurses at night will bring different dynamics and different stories. I'm sure it won't take me long though to just settle right in.

Strangely enough, I will miss having the doctors hanging around. I mean, it's pretty doubtful that they will be hanging out with us at night. They seem to most times lighten the mood, although sometimes it gets crazy behind that desk with a bunch of them around, but shoot, I will miss the big lugs. I say that like they are a bunch of monstrous weirdos, but in reality they are a bunch of kids. I'm not that old, but those doctors are just cute and young and ambitious. It inspires me at times. I mean there are a few old ones like me, and you guys know who you are. I enjoy most of them though, and there is never a dull moment during the day at work.

Nights will be long, they may be a little duller, and they will be quite different than the days I have worked. I pray that my mind will stay sharp, my body will stay strong, and my spirit will stay lifted as I venture into this unknown territory known as 3rd shift.

No comments:

Post a Comment