Thursday, October 7, 2010

Some things do make me angry...


It is never, ever okay to protest anything at a funeral. There. I said it. Whether it's a military funeral or a civilian one, protests have no place there. What kind of idiots would actually think that they can bust up in the midst of a grieving family and hold signs that say horrible things about God and people? It is absolutely ridiculous!
Lately in the news, there has been talk of this... Is it right? Is it wrong? Is it within our rights to freedom of speech, or freedom of peaceable assembly? Let me go out on a limb here and say NO IT'S NOT!!! This is not a matter of law, it is a matter of sense. What if I, with my freedom of speech or peaceable assembly, went into a Jewish synagogue wearing a shirt saying, "Jesus is alive" and holding a sign saying, "Turn or burn"? I would possibly be charged with a hate crime of some type. I would probably be jailed, and that is one of the milder things that I could think of to do, taking advantage of my "rights".
Listen, people, I believe what I believe. I make that perfectly clear to those that read my blog and those who know me. Although my convictions may be different than yours, I would NEVER, EVER dream of holding signs of HATE in the wake of the death of one of our precious war heroes! Would Jesus do that? NO!!! Jesus taught us to love! These people that misconstrue what their "rights" are just make me sick! There is such a thing as class, respect, and love. I can't even believe this is an issue!
What makes it worse is that the people who are doing this "silent protesting" at the military funerals call themselves "born-again Christians". They say they are conservatives, speaking on behalf of the God they claim to serve. GIVE ME A BREAK!!! That is one screwed up way of thinking!! This is why people that aren't Christians think those of us that are are all kooky! They give us all a bad name!
At one time in my life, really until my more recent years, I would tell people quickly that I'm conservative. Now, I don't claim that title. Because conservative now seems to indicate psychosis, I could never claim that. Was Jesus conservative? Hmm... I'm not so sure about that. He hung out with everybody regardless of walk of life. He treated them all the same. He loved other people without judgement. His appearance was not like others, and He didn't judge others based on theirs. Careful, my fellow Christian friends, but that sounds a little liberal in some ways to me. (I just heard one of my "conservative" friends pass out in the floor.) I just don't want to be equated with a people-hating, military-bashing, ignorant, jerk brand of people.
Jesus taught us to love one another. He didn't go around bombing things because of the sin surrounding it, or holding up signs of hate. His spirit is a loving one, all consuming and overwhelming, and I just don't see how anyone could misunderstand it to the point of being so awful to others.
God bless America. God bless our military service men and women. God bless those that hate. They will have to answer for that one day. There. I said it. Take it for what you will.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that you are not going to protest, but if you did, I would stand with you because I agree!! It would be funny to see the reaction to people with the "Turn or Burn" signs!!
    Those who died fighting for our freedom knew what they were signing up for, I believe they would be completely embarrased by how their families and friends act in protesting.

    ReplyDelete